Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hello, Hong Kong Judiciary

- I love the juxtaposition between the modern, towering skyscrapers and the traditional, modest government buildings.

I am thrilled to note, aside from classes and an opportunity to work in the Liberty Chambers, I just received confirmation I will also intern (Hong Kong uses the term marshall) in the Hong Kong High Court under a judge.

I am ecstatic at the unique opportunity and challenge this presents and I also realize I am fortunate to be in this position. (Much of this would not have been possible without the unwavering assistance of Professor Carter). As a 1L, judicial internships are difficult to procure given their scarcity and competition they find themselves buried under. As a matter of fact, I am not even technically allowed to have one at Golden Gate - the school requires students to have more than a year of law school under their belt before they can acquire one as an externship.

The Hong Kong judicial internship promises to not only be a fortuitous event to circumvent this rule but also a unique experience. The foreign environment coupled with the early exposure to how a common-law court system works should prove invaluable to a young legal career. As an avid believer that much of the legal skills you have to acquire are learned outside of the confines of the classroom, I earnestly believe it will be a rewarding educational experience.

Of course nothing great comes without costs. The challenges are nothing to scoff at. Not only have I not taken marital property or communal property classes, even if I had, the application of the knowledge gained in those classes would have been limited. Given the unique circumstance that the judge would be applying Hong Kong law and not American law, a lot has to be learned in a short time. I have already been tasked with gaining some basic knowledge of matrimonial law in Hong Kong and the judge has also indicated that her docket would have issues dealing with custody, maintenance and ancillary relief. (Several terms I actually do not know what they mean upon first glance).

The limited time frame along with the varied and copious material that has to be learned presents a challenge - however, it is one I relish. I only hope I can go into the High Court prepared and armed with sufficient competency that the duties entrusted upon me would be carried out in a proper manner.

Now, if only the civil procedure final I have tomorrow can quickly get here, I can start my research on matrimonial law in Hong Kong. And yes, I fully realize the previous sentence will inevitably become the affirmation of the dork status that I will inherit.

- See you soon!